Saturday 25 April 2020

Mating Red Mason Bees

Brian has forwarded to me an image kindly sent in by group member Melinda Bell. It shows a pair of Red Mason Bees (I hope I've got the ID correct!) mating. At first I wondered if this was an act of aggression, rather than love as I (a total novice as far as bees are concerned) was quite surprised by the relative positions. However, it seems that these bees might justifiably be called Missionary Bees. The female can be recognised as the one underneath as the 'horns' (the reason for the scientific name) on her all-black head are clearly visible, and the male has white tufts on his head.

Red Mason Bee (Osmia bicornis) (pair mating) - Ashby de la Zouch garden
Thank you Min for sending this in - I've learned something new (but, at my age, will probably forget it again in no time flat!)

I suspect that the next blog post will feature more of Brian's wildflower images.

Stay safe and well - - - Richard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment