Sunday 11 April 2021

Food For Hedgehogs (and Birds)

Greetings, Folks!

Most of you will, I hope, be aware that it is unhealthy for Hedgehogs to have access to more than a few mealworms. Hedgehogs love them, but mealworms are low in calcium and so the hogs can end up with crippling bone disease causing their bones to break easily. Through a discussion on t'interweb, I learned fairly recently that mealworms can have a similar effect on birds too!

This caused me to look around. One lady said she coated her mealworms in calcium powder, but this looked a bit hazardous to me. I was then pointed at dried 'Calciworms' by a friend. Calciworms is an informal term for what are strictly known as Black Soldier Fly (BSF) larvae. These are high in calcium and considered safe for Hedgehogs and birds. 

I have tried deploying these, and the Hedgehogs took to them immediately. I have to be careful about when I put them out as they are also a hit with the birds. Too early and they are all gone by the time that the hogs get there!

I bought mine on-line from an outfit called Chubby Mealworms and have been delighted with their service and product. They are, however, available from a number of other sources.

I place a small dish of BSF larvae where the hogs have to work to get their fill. They found them on the first night! I finish this blog post with a video clip of one of the hogs (I think we have four visiting regularly at the moment) going on a mountaineering trip for his supper! Note that when he'd finished eating he went straight for a drink - it is important to have fresh water nearby.

Having water nearby is important for the birds also. They too go for a drink after eating them and, in fact, the Magpies take the larvae from the dish and dunk them in the water before eating them!

That's all for now. Please let me have any news and photos you might want to share with the rest of the group.

Best wishes to all. Take good care - - - Richard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment