Saturday 24 October 2020

Shieldbugs

I'm no expert, but I have a passing interest in shieldbugs, sometimes referred to as 'stinkbugs' with good reason!

There are, I believe, 32 species of shieldbug to be found in UK if you exclude the Coreidae (which includes the common Dock Bug). Of these, I think that 23 species have been recorded inVC55 (Leicestershire and Rutland vice-county).

An excellent guide to shieldbug identification can be found here:-  https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/idcards/life_stages.html

There are still some to be found at this time as I write this and this is one I found recently sitting on top of my garden waste recycling bin.

Birch Shieldbug (Elasmostethus interstinctus) (adult) - our Ashby garden on 22nd October, 2020

If you have any information or photos of local wildlife interest, please contact me at blackfordbywg@btinternet.com

Best wishes to all - - - Richard Pegler
 

No comments:

Post a Comment